Friday, May 3, 2013

Shadowrun Short Part 6

Part 1 starts here; Part 2 starts here. You can find Part 3 there; Part4 here. Part 5! If this gets too long, I might need a second Table of Contents. Just a reminder this is about my Shadowrun character. Now with Blog Tags! I think the Secret of Mana shout out is the best. (Not as good as the planned Shadowrun for the SNES shout out in the last parts.)

* * *

"If you're done, I think I've got the security screens open," Samuels said. "The receptionist didn't have time to log out, so here's what she can see."

I walked away from Dave, whistling for Lincoln to follow. He came by my side and nuzzled my hand. The screens showed me what I thought we'd see; the other floors were filled with gurneys and orderlies. Each floor had dozens of people dying or dead.

"What the fuck did we walk into it?"

"Don't know Samuels," I said. "But I'm guessing we'll need to go up to get the answers."

I pointed to where two small drones were stationed in front of a door. They were fairly simple security drones; wheeled with a single automatic weapon and tracer on the front. They sat on over-watch looking down the hall toward the camera. We tried to swap to a view inside the room, but we were blocked out. Whoever was in there didn't want anyone to see what they were doing.

The elevators dinged and opened; Samuels and I both dropped behind the desk, weapons drawn. A voice came over the loud speakers, a deep, almost growl, reverberated from the speakers. "I don't know who you are, but I want you to get the fuck out," It said. "This is a bit of personal business between the doctor and me. But, if you want to play, get in and we'll fucking play."

"I think we should take the stairs," I said to Samuels, who nodded.

"Better for your heart anyway, old man," He said. We could still hear the voice breathing into the microphone; he was typing furiously away, uttering curses and slamming his hands on the console. Whatever he was trying to do, he wasn't having any success.

"Who the fuck are you guys running with?" He said; I don't know if he could see as we cautiously stood and made our way to the stairs. Lincoln followed, though warily. Samuels went first, called out the well was clear. We made our way up in silence as the voice kept asking us with increasing frustration what brought us there.

"You with the Wolves? Maybe the big leagues? Well, fuck you. Cutters? Spikes? Maybe some new blood trying to make a name for yourself? Fuck off, and I'll ignore that you capped my boys outside."

We reached the top of the stairwell; the exit to the roof had been closed off. Instead, we had to make our way on to the top floor. Once there, I noticed that this floor had been heavily renovated. There were vents pumping air in, but it was still hot. A server room was somewhere up here, which made sense if our silver-tongued friend was trying to get in to something here.

"You don't know what you're fucking with! I see you up here. Do you want the bitch? Take a number! Take a fucking number!"

The hallway went straight to where the other stairwell came up; down the center was a T intersection. A burst of gunfire came down from where the two drones were stationed. Another quick burst followed by a laugh on the intercom. "Come on, you want some?"

I pulled my identification and held it up for the camera. Samuels looked at me like I was crazy, but followed my lead. We heard the speakers click off; it came back on in a few minutes. "Alright, alright. We can be civil about this. Come on in; Kilroy and Kettle Kin won't hurt you."

"You'll understand my request that you come out and meet us here," I said. "Meet us in the middle, as it were."

"I can't leave the console," He said over the intercom. "You want to book me? Fine. I'll cop to shooting every last fucker in here. They were butchering people; ripping the parts out of them."

"We saw that," Samuels said. "You know who we are, who are you?"

"I'm Scorpio, leader of the Scorpion Army."

"Never heard of you," Samuels said.

"Well, you fucking will after this," Scorpio said. "How about this, I'll back the drones up, and then you can come up behind them and power them off?"

"Fuck that," I said. "Have them shoot each other."

"What?" Scorpio said. "Why would I do that?"

"Because we don't trust each other, and I'm not turning my back on a pair of automatic murder machines. Look, you want to get to the roof, right?" I said. "Well, my buddy here's got a golden ticket, you could say. An override-"

"I told you that's not how it works," Samuels said, turning his back to the camera and lowering his voice. I pushed him aside.

"You want to get up there now, right? Because if it takes any longer, she's going to get that chopper off the ground? What did you do, short circuit its navigation while it was wired in? That why you cut off the network to the building?"

"I didn't do that," Scorpio said. "Some other fucker did, but I'm glad they isolated her."

"Well, she's probably trying to reconnect," I said. "I can wait for back up to blast our way in. If she gets away, tough tits. You think the chief is going to care about some street doc who ripped off a bunch of gang bangers? Or do you think he's going to give me a promotion for catching an up-and-coming kingpin who shot up a bunch of useful citizens? So, do you want revenge or do you want two useless drones?"

The radio clicked off again.

"Oh, one more thing," I said. "As of this point, it isn't a fucking negotiation."

I drew my gun and blew the camera away. I threw open the door to the stairwell, leaned in and popped the second camera in there. Lincoln dove into the stairwell, and Samuels crouched on the inside corner, we leveled our guns down the hallway, waiting to see if the drones would come at us.

"Show of good faith, I want you to kick your sidearms into the center of the section; you've got bigger guns, but you won't come in with those drawn," Scorpio said.

"I told you this wasn't a negotiation."

"Roscoe Sumter, right? I ran a check on you," Scorpio said. "You and your partner there come in with your guns out, and this turns into a shoot out."

"Drones, now," Samuels said.

"Fuck you Officer Nobody," Scorpio said. "The adults are talking."

"I'm actually in agreement with my partner here," I said. "We're not getting anywhere while those drones are out there."

"And you can get me the doctor?"

I thought it through. The chief had tried to keep us from coming here on purpose. That was obvious; the hunch came in when I tried to figure out why. Whatever the reason, he had to know something was happening here. If Scorpio is telling the truth, that means that someone from the outside tried to lock the doctor in right when a kill squad came for her. There weren't a lot of people who could know that this Scorpion Army was going to do that. But, there was just one real way to test if the chief had known.

"Man of my word."

"Then get in here before she gets the fuck away," Scorpio said, and the next burst of gunfire was followed by the sounds of the drones popping and falling over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you commenting? Thank you! Please be nice; I'm lazy and would hate to actually have to moderate things.