Monday, January 14, 2013

Sam Gets a Call

Not a lot of commentary today on this fiction. Like Lucy's section, this is a chance to forward the plot, while trying to build some relationships. Unlike Lucy, who is a relatively mild, well-spoken young lady, Sam and Fiona are a bit more rough in their language. So, heed your content warning as two cranky people have an early morning phone call. As an added bonus, this is probably the only time in the currently outlined version of the story that Sam ever actually wins; therefore, he is right to savor it as much as he does.

1. Start of Lucy's first chapter
2. Conclusion of the first Lucy chapter
3. Start of Sam's chapter
4. Sam's story continues with an unfortunate evening
5. Our two main characters interact as Sam gets shot down.
6. We're back with Lucy as she reflects on her new boyfriend
7. Lucy has a little crush; isn't it adorable?
8. Lucy  never gets any peace.

* * *

Getting a phone call at six in the morning is not my idea of a good start to the day. Actually, if the day starts before about eight, the day isn’t going to go very well. I very rarely, however, get to wake up to the sound of sweet, sweet vengeance on the phone. I didn’t even have to do anything for this serving of the breakfast of champions. I just went to bed after a long night and woke up to the sound of my phone buzzing incessantly. My parents didn’t even wake me up with their stomping off to work at five in the morning.

No, instead, I awoke to a number I didn’t recognize calling me. I almost didn’t answer. I almost sent it to voice mail. But I did not, and for that, I was all the glad. I tapped the screen and mumbled a hello.

“I hope I didn’t wake you up Sam.”

“Fiona,” I said, shocked awake. “Whatever cheap shot you have, can it wait till I see you tomorrow?”

“I need a favor.”

I sat up in bed and scratched my chest. I tilted my alarm clock to my face and squinted. “A pretty desperate favor to call me now.”

“Look, Lucy just called and asked me to open for her today.”

“I’m glad to know I’m not the only one being rudely awakened.”

“Fuck you,” Fiona said. “I’m graciously offering you an extra shift.”

“That’s not what a favor is.”

“Alright, look, I’ll owe you one.”

“Why didn’t you just tell Lucy you couldn’t do it?” I was already awake, so I was taking the time to adjust to the light and to pick through my uniform shirts on the ground to find one that was clean enough.

“She said she was calling in a favor,” Fiona said. Her voice seemed a bit uncertain.

“Must’ve been a hell of a favor. What time do I need to go in?”

“Opening time,” Fiona said. “I can call someone else if you’re busy.”

“Yeah, why don’t we just wake everyone up from the O.G. this fine morning? Maybe call a staff meeting every other Tuesday at five,” I said. I found a likely prospect and tossed it onto my bed. Now, it was time to pick through slacks.

“You don’t have to be a smart ass about it.”

“I need the extra money anyway,” I said. I had hoped not to need the extra money, but when the opportunity presented itself, I had to take it. “So, you owe me one?”

“Of equal or lesser value. Don’t go getting any ideas.”

“Yeah, yeah,” I said. “Hey, I have a new go to joke. Fiona’s an ungrateful bitch.”

“Did I already say fuck you? Let me underline it for you. If you were using Facetime, you’d see I’m flipping you off.”

“If I were using Facetime, you’d see that I sleep naked. Who knew, right?” Then Fiona hung up. It was a lie; who in their right mind sleeps naked? But hey, I had an extra shift and I was one up on Fiona for once in my life. This was going to be a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you commenting? Thank you! Please be nice; I'm lazy and would hate to actually have to moderate things.